Cyclists and Boarders Know! Cardoors are a Deathtraps! When you hear a "Click" get out of the way fast! Watch Out! Always look inside parked cars as you pass! Look for faces in the side mirrors! Assume every door you pass will suddenly be thrown open! Taxi cab passengers are the worst! Be extra careful around taxis! Take the Lane! Keep riding! Don't be afraid, be aware! We pay taxes and have the same rights to operate on the streets! Don't give up the fight! You car drivers out there Remember to check your mirrors! Then check again just before you open your door! Cyclists and Boarders can appear faster than you might think! Always assume a cyclists or boarder is about to pass your door! Lets work together! Share the streets! We can prevent these types of accidents! An injury to one is an injury to all!

Monday, January 24, 2005

Rob Grey, New York City, NY

Picture this....

Riding my bike on East 57th Street at 5th Avenue in NYC. Right in front of Tiffany & Co., the van driver for the aforementioned company hurled his door open. One of those extra large size Econoline van style driver doors. Me of the fast reaction swerved instantly, avoiding a headon, but taking the edge of the door on my right thigh. I went down like a rock and being on a road bike that at the moment of impact was traveling at 20 mph, I slid about twenty feet on the pavement. Immediately to my left, traveling on a parallel route, was the Crosstown bus. Its wheels were about a foot from my head. The Van driver was very young, inexperienced, and apologetic. The police came and gave him a summons for "unsafely opening a door into traffic". Tiffany paid about $2500 to make me whole again. I spent about 5 years avoiding my bike.

--Rob Grey

No comments: