Cyclists and Boarders Know! Cardoors are a Deathtraps! When you hear a "Click" get out of the way fast! Watch Out! Always look inside parked cars as you pass! Look for faces in the side mirrors! Assume every door you pass will suddenly be thrown open! Taxi cab passengers are the worst! Be extra careful around taxis! Take the Lane! Keep riding! Don't be afraid, be aware! We pay taxes and have the same rights to operate on the streets! Don't give up the fight! You car drivers out there Remember to check your mirrors! Then check again just before you open your door! Cyclists and Boarders can appear faster than you might think! Always assume a cyclists or boarder is about to pass your door! Lets work together! Share the streets! We can prevent these types of accidents! An injury to one is an injury to all!

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Anonymous, Oxford Brookes University, England

Getting Doored...

Had my first and only experience of being doored today.
When I first moved to Oxford I thought it was a really bike friendly town,
and yes, it has more cyclists and cycle lanes than most UK town, but that
doesn't save us from the almighty door attack!

I was riding up St Clements up towards Headington hill on the green cycle
lane, the traffic was at a stand still waiting for the light to change.
All of a sudden someone opened their car door right in front of me. I
could almost see it open in slow motion. I think my front wheel hit the
door, and I tumbled over the bike and onto the pavement. Luckily I ended
up on the pavement with a bruised leg and slightly mangled knee. The two
guys in the car were super apologetic, and offered to drive me home or to
A&E but I didn't think it was necessary. ( I should have got someone's number,
because i now have to repair my bike!)

Apart from hobbling round for the next few days I'm fine, but I recognise I've got away lucky as hell. It's amazing when you talk to people, even people who don't cycle, how many of them either know someone, or know someone who knows someone who's been harmed or killed by getting doored.
This really needs to be be more universally acknowledged as a serious issue.

-- Anonymous Cyclist from Oxford Brookes University, England

No comments: